Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Blog 13: Revision to Blog 9

Ralph and I wandered down the shore silently, neither one of us dared to speak of the night before's events. Poor Simon. He was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. We were frightened, and we thought he was the beast. It was only an accident. What was he doing wandering around the creepers at night? He must have been batty. Yeah, batty.


Ralph began to speak of Simon, seeming to long for his prescence. First he only murmured his name, almost scared for anyone to hear. Then, the name became louder; until I was sure that Jack could have heard it. I didn't say his name at all, only using "he". I couldn't bare it. Whenever I thought of him, I saw his flesh being ripped to pieces; the blood draining from his motionless body. Shuddering, I closed my eyes; hoping the image would go away.


Ralph and I seemed to fight about Simon a lot. I swore it was an accident, Ralph seemed to blame himself. What could he have done to prevent it from happening? We were on the outside! I couldn't even imagine what they would've done to Ralph if he had said something. The best thing to do is to stay quiet and remember Simon as the kind boy that we all knew. I gesticulated when I told him this, worrying that Ralph was right. What if it had been our fault? No, I needed to get those thoughts out of my brain. Of course it was an accident! It's not like everyone planning on killing him; Simon just kind of showed up. We were all scared, and we didn't know who he was! Who did he think he was just showing up in the dark, not saying who he was!


But Jack will pay for this. The only boys left (besides a handful of littluns) are Samneric. What good are they? All they do is talk and fear the beast.


All seemed to be well last night, Ralph and I fell asleep to each other's wishes. Soon I was woken up by moaning coming from outside the shelter. Ralph stifled my screams, and ordered me to lay still. I was so frightened, then my asthma started kicking up. It felt like a ten ton truck had been heaved onto my chest. The source of the moaning entered the shelter, followed by others. I was too distracted by my asthma, I didn't see anything; except for the phosphorescence of the moon.



Afterwards, Ralph and Eric told me about their victories against who we now know were Jack and his men. I became nervous about the violence, and reached for my glasses. They weren't there. I dare not speak of my missing glasses even this morning, it is a great loss. How will we start the fire? Why does Jack need them? But I already knew the answer. Fire. Our fire would be smothered, and with there's; they could cook as much pig as they wanted. What will happen to us? Can we be rescued without a signal fire? Am I going to die on this island?

No comments: