Nothing. I stare at the opalescent sea as I walk on the shore, barefoot. I feel the tiny grains of sand squeeze between my toes. I feel tears run down my face as I look at the horizon. Our chance of being rescued was bleak, especially since Jack and his minions simply want to hunt for pigs. Personally, I do not find pleasure in killing things, but to each their own. All I ask is that they care for the signal fire and keep an eye on the horizon. Obviously, I'm asking too much. I turn around, turning my back to the horizon.
I watch some of the littluns playing in the sand, making castles. I can barely look at the castles, they remind me too much of home. To my horror, I watch two older boys run through their sand castles, laughing. Two of the littluns run away, crying. One of the bigger boys keeps running down the beach, the other one hides behind a palm tree. Then, Roger (the one behind the tree) starts to throw rocks at the area around the remaining littlun. He's obviously trying not to hit the kid, but the safety zone around the boy shrinks after every throw. I thought I had implied to the older boys that they needed to watch over the littluns. Obviously, nobody had taken note of it. I see Jack walk up to Roger with an odd assortment of clay and berries. They chat for a while, and become uninterested; and keep walking down the shoreline.
I see Piggy and Simon walking my direction, and I hurry up to meet them. We discuss affairs, and I casually glance at the horizon. There! I see a black spot on the horizon that looks much like a ship. I yell, to no one in particular, for more smoke at the signal fire. Simon and Piggy are confused. Then I start pointing at the horizon. Simon immediately sees the ship, but Piggy can't. Even though he can't see the ship, Piggy assumes it's a mirage. We all run up to the fire, but to our disbelief none of the hunters are there, and the fire has gone out.
We hear a frightening chant coming from the jungle. We can't make out the specific words, but it sounds like a bloodthirsty cult. The hunters soon emerge from the jungle with a pig dripping with blood. "Kill the pig. Cut her throat. Spill her blood" the hunters chant excitedly. All I can do is shake my head and look Jack right in the eyes. He asks me what I'm so upset about. What am I so upset about?! I could have gone home to Mother, Father, and Charlie; but he had to go off on one of his adventures. I have much malevolence towards Jack currently. He's the reason I'm stuck on this godforsaken island! I wanted to punch him out, but my manners stopped me. Mum had always told me that violence is not the answer, and it's savagery. Whatever happens on this island, I will NOT give into savagery. I am a decent englishman. And I'll stay that way until I die.
Piggy begins to argue with Jack about his responsibilities, which I don't think was a good idea. Jack tells Piggy to stop whimpering in a shrill tone. Jack is oblivious towards what I think are his hunters' responsibilities, like taking care of the fire. Piggy does not stop yelling, and Jack begins to imitate Piggy, and then slaps him across his face (which I thought was preposterous behavior); knocking his glasses off. Piggy gyrates, then falls to the ground. We soon discover that the glasses are broken.
Later on, everyone enjoys Jack's pig. I was very incredulous towards Jack. He seemed very bloodthirsty.Jack still seems to think that our argument earlier in the day was irrelevant to his actions. I can barely tolerate eating the pork. It was much better than the fruit I've been eating, but it felt wrong to eat it. I realized that by eating it, I was kind of giving into savagery. Obviously, I stop eating it.

2 comments:
Annelise,
The way that you weave events in the chapter together from Ralph's perspective is excellent. His thoughts about Roger's treatment of the littluns reflects our conversation in class and your deeper understanding of the story. You are an excellent proofreader of your own work. After reading your journals I am having a hard time finding grammatical or syntactical errors to address. Equally, you implement clear descriptions and dialogue that paints a cohesive picture. Fantastic job!
REVISION ASSIGNMENT: Check your usage of the vocab words and revise these sentences.
1. I think that my implications on the biguns watching the littluns have been forgotten.
2. Jack is very incredulous towards what I think are his hunters' responsibilities, like taking care of the fire
REVISION ASSIGNMENT: Can you add a few sentences to the following exampke that give further insight into Ralph's manners. What is Ralph's moral compass? Is he conscious of morality?
"He's the reason I'm stuck on this godforsaken island! I wanted to punch him out, but my manners stopped me."
Mr. Shaddox,
Here's my revisions:
GRAMMATICAL
1. I thought I had implied to the older boys that they needed to watch over the littluns. Obviously, nobody had taken note of it.
2. I was very incredulous towards Jack. He seemed very bloodthirsty.
CONTENT
1. Mum had always told me that violence is not the answer, and it's savagery. Whatever happens on this island, I will NOT give into savagery. I am a decent englishman. And I'll stay that way until I die.
Post a Comment